Beverly Golf & Tennis Club
The Beverly Golf and Tennis Club, an example of Arts and Crafts design, was built in 1910 as a clubhouse for the employees of the United Shoe Machinery Corporation, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of shoe making equipment at the time. The Beverly Golf and Tennis Club is now a public facility with an 18-hole golf course and tennis courts, and hosts functions of all sizes from community group meetings to weddings. The Beverly Golf and Tennis Club was listed on the National Historic Register and the Massachusetts State Register of Historic Places in 1982.
Gienapp Design was selected as the architect for the exterior improvements to the Beverly Golf and Tennis Club. The work included wood window restoration and exterior finish (stucco) repairs at the dormers; complete roof replacement including new asphalt shingle roofing, copper flashing and limited repair/refurbishing of deteriorated wood roof elements; copper gutters and rain leaders; restoration/rebuilding of two masonry chimneys; and limited lead paint and ACM window caulking abatement.
The work was partially funded through a grant from the Massachusetts Preservation Projects Fund through the Massachusetts Historical Commission. All of the work we provided to the Beverly Golf and Tennis Club complied with the Secretary of Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties. The project was designed and bid in accordance with Chapter 149 Massachusetts Public Laws.