Lincoln Hall is an active Community Center located in the center of historic West Boxford, MA. Originally constructed as a VFW Hall; Lincoln Hall has been a community meeting hall since 1913. With its open wood floor (with small stage) and lower level with kitchen, Lincoln Hall is a multi-function facility that serves as a meeting hall for the Grange, Veterans, Boy Scouts, BTA/BOLT meetings, school plays, receptions, dances and other social, educational and cultural gatherings.
Although well maintained, Lincoln Hall was in need of rehabilitation and modernization. The work included new exterior siding and trim, new window sash, new insulation, new and refurbished finishes, new HVAC, plumbing and electrical systems. Like many of our projects on historic buildings, the building was updated to full accessibility through a combination of typical measures and approved variances granted by the Architectural Access Board. Accessibility improvements included a lift for access to the two floor levels and stage, and new toilet rooms.
One of the key elements of our services on this project was to determine solutions to many project issues ahead of the building renovation itself. These items included the difficulty in addressing septic and well water issues, extreme limitation on land for access, and the immediate proximity of the front entrance to the street. Addressing each of these issues early in the project assured an ‘approvable’ project and allocated funds to these issues. Like many of our projects, without carefully understanding the overall project needs and resolving these issues to the satisfaction of project opponents, the final construction would not have been realized. Instead, the project was successfully completed under budget, allowing a subsequent kitchen improvement project.
This is one of several projects by Gienapp Design made possible by Community Preservation Committee funding.